Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Raising Up To Ground Level

We had a great night of revival Monday and we are hoping it gets better and better the next two nights. During the day we have been working on more house projects, ticking off at a time.

I had a guy here Monday working on installing five more porch posts. These posts are not supporting posts, but have been part of the plan from the beginning. I worked with him most of the day Monday. Hopefully he will finish up today and I will have pictures later.

We also have the internet company coming to day to install the internet service. We ran a conduit underground when we ran the electricity. It even already has a pull string in it. Hopefully that process will be painless.

I forgot a to show you a project I completed last week. It was not a huge project but it was dirty and necessary. I was super happy to get it done.

When Bro. Jimmie Radcliffe and I put in the water back in November 2016, we installed three access pits. Do you see the pit on the left below?

Each pit allows access to a shut off valve like this.

Three pits accessing three valves. One is a valve to the house. One is a valve for the hydrant by the fire pit. The third is for the hydrant by the barn.

The one for the house has been mostly in the way during the whole construction process. I have kept it marked with a rock and a stake most of the time to keep a big truck from running over it and also to prevent me from losing track of it.

We knew the house would be raised up a little above ground level so we raised this particular pit about 6" above the ground. When the house was completed and the driveway was poured, the top of the pit was 12" BELOW ground level.

Oops I missed that one!

One morning before the sun got hot I attacked it with the shovel and rake and figured out how much it needed to be raised. I made a trip to Pickrel Brothers, a big pluming supply house, in Dayton and purchased the proper amount of lid extensions. Dad helped me put them in, I covered it all up and here is the finished product. I still have the rock laying on top of the lid.

My hands were a mess most of the time and I was laying on my belly so no pictures were taken while the work was going on. 

I plan to eventually widen the driveway some and this should be perfect level for the concrete. I have fretted about that job a long time and I am very glad to get it done.

We may never get all these things done, but we will leave Ohio and let it all go soon. I am looking forward to that.

Thanks for reading today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of an enormous amount of spam all comments will require word verification and will be moderated. They may not be visible for a few minutes. We love it when you participate in the conversation. Thanks for leaving a comment!